January 31, 2012

Bird Cloud Carving


It's the last day of the month so before I move onto another theme for February's Travelogue of Fantasy, I wanted to post a work in progress that is related to January's theme of Sky Places.  I had wanted to do a bird and I worked on a few pieces that didn't work out.  I ended up carving this new one during a slow afternoon at Rust Belt.  I took the bird design from the first unsuccessful project and added some Tibetan inspired clouds with it.  It started out as an oval but I chipped it, so I modified it and I really like the shape.  I will fire it and make a mold so I can make more.

I had really wished to explore this subject more this month but I have had a lot going on.  I got a few good pieces out of it, and sketches and ideas for more.  Perhaps February will bring me some more creative time to play.  I hope so!  I am not even sure what my theme will be still, so I guess I have to start thinking about that!  Stay tuned.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Miss Melanie! That design is so lovely! It is such a soothing and hopeful image, this bird soaring above the clouds. I can't wait to see how you glaze this. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh beautiful work. That bird is truly an inspiration...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one! Especially the shape of the Tibetan clouds. They've always been an intriguing design element in the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and especially the shape I like designing different shaped elements it makes things so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this. You are amazing. xox jean

    ReplyDelete