March 5, 2012

Mind Flood: Haeckel's Moss, Lichens, and Fungus


 Today's inspirational post the work of nineteenth century scientist/biologist/illustrator/artist Ernst Haeckel. I discovered his work Art Forms in Nature when I was in college, and it had a big influence on my work then, and I guess it still does today.  I am looking at the patterns and shapes in these three illustrations, which are technical drawings of moss, lichens, and fungus. I also love the colors of the top drawing. I think they are incredibly beautiful and hope the textures inspire me to make some woodland themed beads in the next few days.

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful images Melanie...great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete