April 3, 2012

Lost and Found


I had kind of a rough summer last year.  Right around August, I was dealing with a painful health issue (ovarian cyst), there were city wide electrical problems as well as my own house electric problems that were very inconvenient, it was hot, and I was stressed. To top it all off, one weekend in August (I think), I was moving back into my Rust Belt both after returning from an unsuccessful show and at some point I lost my Bead Girl bag above.  I searched everywhere and asked around for weeks.  I figured I dropped it upon load-in somewhere in the parking lot, and someone picked it up and had a new treasure. The bag was filled with beads, findings, and all of my best tools, and I was devastated. After a month of searching and mourning, I gave up and replaced some of the things that were in it.
 AMAZINGLY! yesterday, a woman called me and left a message that she had something that may be mine.  I called her back and was absolutely shocked to have her describe the bag.  Apparently, she picked it up in the parking lot, near the neighboring dollar store.  She took it home and looked all through it and never found any contact info, until this week, when her sister looked through it with her and they found a label with my name and phone number on it.  After seven months, I am reunited with my bag, and all my stuff!  Can you believe that?  Also, look at the picture above... can you also believe how MUCH stuff I fit in that little bag?  It had 11 pairs of pliers and some other tools, bags full of beads and findings, wire, chain, geez... the kitchen sink!  I am so grateful to have it back now.  I gave the woman a big hug and a necklace and bracelet set to thank her for her thoughtfulness.  How awesome is that?
While I am snapping pictures of the kitchen table/work desk, I thought I would show an ideal Tuesday morning.  Orders stacked up in trays, ready for Jen to come over to pack for shipping, and me calmly working on the computer and sipping my vanilla decaf coffee.  Of course, most Tuesdays involve me running around like a crazy girl losing my mind, trying to get the shipping together as Jen laughs at me and calms me down, but today was pretty picture perfect.
And look, orders all packed up and ready to go. It's nice when I find some order and calm in the chaos that is sometimes my life..

Melanie is an artist, blogger, writer, and ceramic beadmaker at Earthenwood Studio. Her beads and components can be found at her Etsy shop and her jewelry can be found in her Etsy Galleria. To comment on this post, visit the original post at the Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Blog.

12 comments:

  1. So nice to hear your bag and all it's contents we're returned to you! What a blessing, and what a dear woman who rescued it and returned it to its rightful owner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that such a treasure was found and returned. I had a friend that lost her cat for 8 months after a flood and was finally reunited with her. Glad to her that you are feeling better, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Oh, man! You got ALL THAT in that iiiiitty biiiitty bag and it didn't explode on you? You must be an awesome packer! Glad you got it back. Isn't it nice to find such a kind person every now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is an awesome deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you got your bag back. I love stories with happy endings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you! What a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's amazing you got it back after 7 months! I always say "one man's trash is another man's treasure". In this case, if she isn't a jewelry maker, she probably opened the bag and said "What's all this junk for??" So, maybe, one woman's treasure is another woman's trash! So glad you got your bag back!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cynthia, I think she realized how important it was to someone and I can tell she tried really hard to find a way to get it back to me. There was a LOT of stuff in there, and she reopened it with fresh eyes to find my name and phone number on a sticker on a bag! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was totally awesome and I'll bet she loved the necklace and bracelet too. One good deed deserves another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome :) I love hearing about people who have an encounter with a 'good' person ; someone not given to greed who keeps an obviously costly 'found item' or sells it for personal gain ( it happens all the time ), or demands a reward for its safe return. And I love hearing about these good people being rewarded for their acts :) I'm sure that she'll treasure that jewelry, as well as constantly share the story of how she got it and who made it for her :) If she has children, you just helped her pass on the lesson of 'doing the right thing' :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad you found your bag....I can totally relate...artist have their favs and we just can't seem to do the 'best' without them!

    ReplyDelete